Now Hiring- Executive Director
The Executive Director will create a vision for Blue North that fosters a growing entrepreneurship ecosystem in Northern Kentucky and will work alongside Blue North staff and partners to implement that vision. This position requires strategic thinking, clear communication, a leadership mentality, a spirit of cooperation and prior knowledge of how startup communities grow and thrive. Prior experience managing and hiring staff is essential, and established relationships with local entrepreneurial support organizations is an advantage. The Executive Director needs to demonstrate a passion for supporting the entrepreneurs and the future innovators of Northern Kentucky.
Blue North is an independent non-profit that is governed by a Board of Directors. This position reports to the Board of Directors. The organization is currently funded by a grant from the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Board of Directors and staff to ensure that Blue North’s mission is fulfilled through annual strategic planning and successful programming development and execution.
- Lead Blue North in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Develop and execute the organization’s strategic plan.
- Manage the organization’s budget and spending and work with the accounting firm to review and report monthly financials to the Board of Directors.
- Manage the RISE Grant to successfully meet all operational, financial, and administrative requirements.
- Work directly with Northern Kentucky entrepreneurs to connect them to resources in the community.
- Collaborate with other Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati-region entrepreneurship organizations to strengthen the overall startup and innovation ecosystem. Increase Blue North’s reputation and visibility within the Greater Cincinnati ecosystem.
- Work with KY Innovation and other Kentucky Innovation hubs on statewide initiatives. Attend State-hosted meetings and share Blue North activities and success stories.
- Together with the Board Chair, establish the agenda for each monthly Board meeting and help lead the meetings.
- Responsible for the future hiring and retention of an effective, competent and qualified staff, dedicated to fulfilling the organization’s mission.
- Ensure the organization is operating in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Responsible for all other administration aspects of Blue North’s operations.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required. Major or minor in entrepreneurship, marketing, communications, business, or related fields is preferred.
- 10 years or more of entrepreneurial experience whether that is starting a business or working in entrepreneurial support.
- Three or more years of management experience.
- Demonstrated financial management and fundraising experience.
- Willingness to learn (or experience with) Salesforce, Pitchbook, Slack, and Google Drive.
- Relevant experience with startups and other small businesses.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership.
- Ability to focus on overall mission, regardless of the varied tasks the role may require of yourself or staff
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development, and task facilitation.
- Ability to convey a vision of Blue North’s strategic future to staff and Board
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- This position works with a great deal of autonomy and will not always be working in the same office as the Program Director. The ideal candidate is a self-starter who is proactive about setting goals and reaching them.
- A percentage of your time will be spent at Blue North’s office in Covington, KY. The remaining time is flexible and can be spent at the office or a remote location. A small amount of in-state travel will be required.
- A laptop and a $50 per month cell phone stipend will be provided.
- Medical and dental insurance will be provided.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume, and requested salary to David Schneider at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Blue North provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.